At Powell Valley Healthcare, we take your health to heart. That's why we've put together a cardiology team that is highly qualified and equipped to provide you the best possible care.
Whether you have a heart condition or your primary care doctor suspects you do, we can help.
We love taking care of our heart patients. And we think it shows. If you choose Powell Valley, you can count on the highest quality care. Our team includes a fellowship-trained cardiologist with many years of experience, plus a supportive nursing staff. They work alongside you to tailor a treatment plan that fits your unique needs.
A wide range of services
You shouldn't have to travel for the care you need and deserve. That's why we provide most cardiology services close to home. A few of our outpatient cardiology services include:
- Diagnostic testing. We have many diagnostic tools to check on your heart's health. These include exercise and nuclear medicine stress testing, Holter heart monitoring and electrocardiogram (ECG, or EKG), and echocardiogram (cardiac ultrasound). Your doctor may order any of these tests initially to help detect signs of heart disease, including heart valve problems or blockages.
- Medication management of many cardiac conditions. These include congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease, atrial fibrillation (AFib) and high blood pressure. Patients are seen by our cardiologist in the Powell Valley Cardiology Clinic. And you generally don't need a doctor's referral to see our cardiologist, who is rated highly for customer satisfaction.
- Cardioversion (an electric shock to restore the heart's normal rhythm) for AFib.
- Pacemaker checks. If you have an implanted pacemaker, we can monitor it to make sure it is working properly. We'll also ensure that your device has adequate battery power.
- Coumadin clinic. Many people taking blood thinners need regular visits to the clinic to have their blood checked. This helps show how well the medication is working and ensure the safest care possible—for example, that the blood isn't too thin. Our pharmacists manage the Coumadin clinic. They also provide helpful education about how foods can affect how coumadin works.
- Cholesterol testing. Cholesterol tests can help show whether you are at increased risk for heart disease and stroke. If so, you can often reduce your risk with lifestyle changes and medicines, if needed. Wellness screenings, including cholesterol tests, are provided in our Powell Valley Wellness labs without a doctor's referral.
- Heart-healthy education. Our registered dietitian can help teach you heart-healthy eating.
- Initial heart attack care. During a heart attack, time is muscle: A quick response can potentially prevent heart damage. Our emergency department team can promptly stabilize you with medications and get you to the right level of care.
Cardiac rehab to help your heart heal
If you've had a heart attack, bypass surgery or another serious heart issue, you may benefit from outpatient cardiac rehabilitation, or rehab, at Powell Valley. Cardiac rehab may help you safely return to your activities while reducing your risk for future heart problems.
Program participants exercise in our outpatient facility, using treadmills and other workout equipment. And the exercise is performed under the supervision of a trained respiratory therapist.